Sunday, August 17, 2008

Baby Benjamin

Adam & Janae's baby, Benjamin, was born on August 13, 2008. He was 8 lbs 15 oz and was 3 weeks early! He'd have been like 11 pounds if he went full term, crazy! He had a few medical problems since he was so early, so he was rushed to Primary Children's NICU. He was supposed to be there for three or four weeks, but was able to come home after only a week and a half!

Anyway, I got to watch the other four kids while Janae was in the hospital and Adam was with her or the baby (2 days!). I picked up the kids from the hospital at about 6:00 p.m. the day he was born. We headed home after the exciting dinner in the hospital cafeteria. We played for a while and the kids were beat, so I put them to bed. The next day we got up and had some yummy breakfast. I was trying to think of super fun ideas to keep them busy and not just put a movie on. We colored, played Shutes & Ladders, played Disney Scene It, and a bunch of other games. I had fun and I'm pretty sure that the kids did too! Later that night, we watched Surfs Up, which was pretty cute.

The next day, we kept pretty busy playing and hanging out. We went to dinner and then went to see WALL-E. It was kind of a weird movie. The kids weren't very impressed either. WALL-E is basically a glorified trash compactor and he gets a kind of crush on another robot that comes down to earth to find life on the planet. All the humans are on a cruise in space. So, they all ride around on these hover lounge chairs and do nothing but drink their meals and shop on the computers that are connected to the chairs. Anyway, this sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but that's basically how the movie was! It had a good message at the end, which was to take care of our planet.

Later that night, we were able to go to the hospital and visit with Janae. I've never seen someone look so pretty, calm, and put together that quickly after having a baby. She said the trick is to put on some pearls and you'll look put together. It totally worked for her, but I have a feeling that putting on pearls wouldn't help me after going through all that!

The next day we went up to Primary's to see the baby. Since he was in the NICU, we had to go in one at a time with Adam while the others hung out in the playroom with Janae. It was so sad to see him with all the tubes in him, but we knew he was being well taken care of. I dropped the kids off at my mom's later that night so they could have a sleepover with their cousins.

I had a great time and it wasn't bad at all, but I don't think I could do it EVERY day! Love you guys!!! Welcome home, Benjamin!


1 comment:

liso. said...

...oh, he is just so precious! and i am totally impressing with your aunting/parenting skills. kudos to you.

...and. I always think that movie 'surfs up' is about smurfs.